2017 Don Young Vine Martinborough Pinot Noir
By Alex Craighead
- Clonal mix from Martinborough's central terrace gravels
- Organically farmed (not certified)
- Hand harvested
- 40% whole bunch fermented in open top fermenters
- 9 months maturation in old French oak barrels
- Bottled unfiltered and unfined under screwcap
- No added preservative (no SO2/220/sulphur dioxide)
- Made exclusively for Wine Diamonds New Zealand
This Pinot from Martinborough's younger-vines off the central terrace gravels is incredibly vivid and delicious! It's bursting with red fruit on the nose which follows through to a bright, fresh, juicy palate. There's some savoury, floral, earthy undergrowth there too offering complexity if you want to dig deeper, but it really is one delicious red you'll struggle to stop reaching for!
Opening a bottle today it felt like we've hit the nail on the head with this one. It's a banger and it's bloody good value too. Alex just keeps going from strength to strength and I'm incredibly proud to represent him.